To start off, I’d like to thank Justine from Wanderer of the World for nominating me for the Liebster Award. It’s an absolute delight seeing as I am only just starting out in the world of blogging!
For those of you who have never heard of this award before, it is an award that recognises bloggers by fellow bloggers, and a really lovely way to be a part of the blogging community.
Upon acceptance, you must pass on the love to other bloggers.
1. When did you start your blog and why?
I started writing the blog in August this year but it didn’t actually go live until October. I could feel that I had been bitten by the travel bug and wanted to keep a record of where I’d been. I also love the idea that someone might read my blog and be as inspired to travel as I have been from reading other people’s blogs.
2. If you could give fellow bloggers one tip to help them grow their blog, what would you tell them?
Writing a blog is usually you alone with a laptop but actually blogging itself is a community. Get involved. Join Facebook groups. Leave regular comments on your favourite blogs and share posts. Ask questions and give advice yourself. People will respond to you much more positively if you reciprocate.
3. What tools (ie apps and services) would you recommend to other bloggers?
Make sure you download Google Maps and Translate to your phone. Then before you go away make sure they are set to work offline. You will be able to plan routes, translate, work out exchange rates and you won’t even need to worry about connecting to wi-fi.
4. How do you fund your travels?
I have a full time job. I transfer a bit of money every month into a savings account and I try to be as flexible as possible in terms of when I travel and where I go, in order to find deals and savings.
5. What items could you not live without whilst travelling?
A camera, a blanket scarf and Dioralytes
6. Name one destination you would recommend to anyone who loves travel and why have you chosen that place?
Budapest – This was my last trip and I completely fell in love with this beautiful city and the very friendly people. Plus it’s really cheap. I’m already wondering if I’ll get to revisit next year.
7. Are you a country bumpkin or a city dweller?
I’ve lived in a city all my life and I do love my creature comforts but I also love finding that view that takes my breathe away.
8. Name 3 reasons why someone should visit the country you’re from.
The English countryside – get your walking shoes on and camera ready by heading to the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales or the Cotswolds.
Our Museums – You’ll have heard of the Ashmolean Museum and the Natural History Museum but did you know that the UK also has a lawnmower museum, a pencil museum and even a House of Marbles.
History. The UK is absolutely full of it. Whether it’s an old building or a jurassic coastline there is always something to find with a fascinating story behind it.
9. What one memory from your travels will you never forget?
Standing at the top of Signal Hill in St John’s, Canada. I had never travelled as a child or teenager and was never encouraged to do so either so finding myself 2500 miles from home looking out at the North Atlantic was a pretty big deal. I realised then that I needed to see more of the world.
10. What is your next adventure going to be and where will you do it?
I’m heading to Marrakech in February and have booked a hot air balloon ride over the Atlas Mountains!
11. Name your must-see travel spots for 2017.
Marrakech obviously. I would also love to revisit Dublin (10years after my first visit) and I would really like to do a tour of the Gaudi buildings in Barcelona.
- Thank and link to the blogger who nominated you
- Create a post on your blog, displaying the Liebster Award Logo
- Answer 11 questions assigned by the blogger who nominated you
- Provide rules/instructions for accepting the award
- Nominate 5-11 new favourite bloggers for the Liebster Award
- Come up with a list of 11 new questions for your nominees
- Notify the nominees
- Post your Liebster Award blog post link in the comments of your nominators Liebster Award Post
I hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know me a little better through these questions! Now, it’s my time to spread the love and nominate a few travel bloggers that are definitely worth taking a look at:
Dot The Map – A Pair of Portuguese brothers who write great articles that are really informative about the places they visit.
Into the City – Not just a travel blog. So much more. Travel, fashion, beauty, food. Really versatile, and her photography style is stunning.
Weekend Pilgrim – A relatively new but fantastic blog that I identify with strongly. Making the most of short term trips.
My Red Travel Shoe – A lovely blog by a Hungarian ex-pat living in the USA. Not only is it a great blog about moving countries travel but she also writes about her adorable puppy Echo.
Alex in Wanderland – Alex is definitely not a new blogger, nor short of followers but she is possibly my favourite blogger. Writing funny, informative and stylish travel stories, exploring the good and bad aspects of travel and her photographs are breathtaking.
Questions to the Nominees
- What is your blog’s name and how did you choose it?
- How do you combat writer’s block?
- How much time do you spend planning blog posts and other social media posts?
- Who is your favourite travel blogger and why?
- What is the best piece of travel advice you have received?
- Do you like to plan destinations and activities or do you like to be more spontaneous?
- When you hear the word travel, what one word pops into your imagination?
- Do you prefer to travel solo, with friends, or with family?
- What is your earliest travel memory?
- To any new and inexperienced travellers, where would you recommend as an ideal destination?
- Where is next on your travel wishlist?